The holiday season is upon us and although we may be winding down for the year, many criminals who commit fraud are not. Fraudsters often exploit the holiday season, knowing that their targets may be caught off guard.
Here are some tips to help you stay safe over the festive season
- Shop safely online. Ensure your computer has up to date virus protection software and use websites that are safe (check for the padlock symbol on the website). Research to make sure the website you are buying from is legitimate and reputable. We also recommended customers consider our Visa Checkout service for added security
- Be wary of deals that sound too good to be true
- Use safe ATMs. Ensure the ATM used is in a well-lit area. Never use an ATM that appears to have been modified, has a suspicious device attached or does not look genuine
- Regularly check your online accounts for unusual transactions
- Be aware of romance scams over the holidays. Often scammers will send emails requesting your acquaintance and as the friendship develops, they may request you to send them money
- Never share your passwords or PIN codes with anyone, this includes family and friends.
Remember that Bank Australia will never ask you to update, confirm or disclose your personal banking details via email, SMS or telephone calls.
If you have any concerns, please contact us on 132 888.