‘tis the season to be jolly – especially if you’re a scammer. Scammers often use Christmas and other holidays to take advantage of unsuspecting people who could be caught off-guard.
Here are some tips to help you stay safe over the festive season
- Shop safely online. Read and learn how to do this here.
- Be wary of deals that sound too good to be true.
- Use safe ATMs. Ensure the ATM used is in a well-lit area and never use an ATM that appears to have been modified, has a suspicious device attached or does not look genuine.
- Regularly check your online accounts for unusual transactions
- Be aware of romance scams over the holidays. Often scammers will send emails requesting your acquaintance and as the friendship develops, they may request you to send them money
- Never share your passwords or PIN codes with anyone, including family and friends.
Remember that Bank Australia will never ask you to update, confirm or tell us your personal banking details via email, SMS or telephone calls.
If something doesn't look or feel quite right, give us a call on 132 888.