Trust for Nature exists to protect native plants and wildlife on private land in Victoria. It does this by:
- Working with land owners to voluntarily protect their land via a Conservation Covenant
- purchasing and on-selling private land with a conservation covenants in place through its Revolving Fund
- accepting donations of private land for conservation via gifts or bequests.
Trust for Nature has protected more than 97,000hectares of native vegetation in Victoria. This includes:
- more than 1,300 private properties protected by conservation covenants
- 113 properties purchased by Trust for Nature (47 currently retained and 66 transferred to the Crown for inclusion in the reserve system)
- 57 properties sold through the Revolving Fund.
Established under the Victorian Conservation Trust Act 1972, Trust for Nature is the only Victorian organisation to protect bushland with land management agreements that last forever. To learn more about this great work, visit the Trust for Nature website.
Organisations similar to Trust for Nature operate in other states and territories. At the moment we are working with Trust for Nature because the properties we own are in Victoria.