Creating a healthier planet and protecting our environment
We work to create a healthier planet - supporting the environment that supports us.
Our progressive approach to banking represents a positive future. That’s why we’re not afraid to lead and to challenge the way people think about the role banks play in building a strong, fair nation and a healthy planet.
We have done this by:
- investing in the Bank Australia Conservation Reserve, which is a world-first environmental project for a bank that is collectively owned by our customers
- using the Conservation Reserve to offset the environmental impacts of new home constructions we finance
- staying carbon neutral since 2011 and making sure our house is in order by minimising the environmental impact of our buildings and the activities of our staff. Our Environmental Policy guides this work
- committing to action on climate change. We are the first bank in the world to sign onto all seven climate commitments under the We Mean Business climate leadership platform
- promising to never make any loans to the fossil fuel industry, including coal and coal seam gas projects.
We’re taking action to create a healthier planet through our operations
We know our business has direct and indirect impacts on the environment and we’re working hard to tackle these.
That’s why we’re reducing our emissions, using energy and water more efficiently and reviewing our supply chain to avoid deforestation.
Ahead of the Paris climate change talks in 2015, Bank Australia made seven commitments as part of We Mean Business, a global platform to demonstrate business leadership on climate action. These commitments have guided our action so far.
We’re proud to stand together with other businesses and organisations taking action, as members of: