What is card fraud?
Card fraud includes lost and stolen cards, counterfeit cards or digital wallet cards, and the use of card details on the internet or over the phone.
We monitor for unusual transactions, and offer security features such as chip, PIN and Visa Secure, but it’s up to you to keep your card secure.
What you can do
- Sign the signature panel as soon as you receive a new card, and make sure that you securely destroy any old ones
- Regularly check that your card is still in your possession
- Don’t let anyone else use your card, or the card details
- Treat your card as if it was cash, and don’t leave it unattended (e.g. in a car, at your workplace, or in a public place)
- If you’re not sure about the security of a merchant or an ATM, don’t use it
- Only add and activate cards in your digital wallet when the physical card is in your possession
- Try to make sure your card is being delivered to a secure mailbox/address
- Lock your card via app or internet banking if you notice any unusual or unexpected transactions.
- Regularly check account statements.
What is Visa Secure?
Visa Secure is a security protocol that helps to prevent fraud on online credit and debit card transactions. It is used to authenticate a customer when a payment is being processed. Authentication will be completed using a one-time password that is sent to your mobile phone number held with Bank Australia. You should ensure that your mobile phone number (and all contact details) are correct so that you do not encounter any difficulties.
How does Visa Secure work?
When you make an online purchase that we think is high risk, you will be prompted to enter a one-time password that is sent your mobile phone number that you have provided to Bank Australia. This is so we can be sure your card isn’t being used without your permission. You will have three opportunities to enter this password. You should ensure that your mobile phone number (and all contact details) are correct so that you do not encounter any difficulties.
How do you know where Visa Secure is available?
Look for the Visa Secure symbol as a sign the merchants value your business and your security.